How to Install NordVPN on Firestick
Amazon Firesticks are growing in popularity as they allow you to stream on-demand HD content from the comfort of your couch, and the fact that they’re portable means you can bring them with you wherever you go.
But whether you want to circumvent geo-restrictions during your travels or simply keep your viewing activities anonymous from the snooping eyes of your ISP and nefarious third parties, installing a VPN app such as NordVPN on your Firestick is the right choice for you.
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to install NordVPN on Firestick. Simply follow those easy steps, and you’ll be good to go.
How to Install NordVPN on Firestick: A Step-by-Step Guide
There are two ways to install NordVPN on Firestick devices. We suggest sticking to the first method and only resorting to the second one if the first fails.
Via Amazon App Store
1. Subscribe to one of NordVPN’s plans on their website.
2. Turn on your Fire TV and load your home screen, then click on the magnifying glass icon at the top.
3. Type “NordVPN” in the search bar. The NordVPN app should be the first result that comes up.
4. Click the Get button, then press Download. Wait for the app to be downloaded and installed.
5. After installation is over, click Open. Alternatively, you can find the NordVPN app in “Your Apps & Games” if you head to the Fire TV home screen.
Pro Tip: You may be prompted to install an additional update. In this case, click Download and install, then wait for the updates to be installed.
6. Enter your login credentials when prompted. Then, you can pick a server and connect to the VPN network.
Before NordVPN released an official Fire TV version of the app, manually installing the app by sideloading the APK was the only possible way to use NordVPN on Fire TV. However, this method is now mostly obsolete, but it can work at a pinch if you face difficulties installing the app using the first method.
However, keep in mind that there’s some inherent risk in using this method. If you don’t download the APK from NordVPN’s website, there is no way to guarantee it won’t be free of malware.
1. Sign up for NordVPN on their website.
2. Turn on your Fire TV and load your home screen.
3. From the home screen, open the Settings menu on the top-right. Select Device/Fire TV, then click Developer Options.
4. In Developer Options, toggle on both ADB debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources. Enabling these two options will allow you to install the APK outside the App Store.
5. Return to your Fire TV home screen, then click on the magnifying glass icon at the top.
6. Type “Downloader” in the search bar and select Download to install the app.
7. Open the Downloader app and type this URL: https://nordvpn.com/download/android/
8. The page will load in a browser. Select Download .apk.
9. Once the download is over select Install. Once the app is installed, click Done.
10. Since your Fire TV recognizes NordVPN as a third-party app, you won’t be able to find it on your home screen or the Apps page. To access the app, go to Settings, then Applications, then Manage Installed Applications.
11. Select NordVPN from the drop-down menu, then click Launch Application.
12. Enter your login credentials when prompted.
Pro Tip: You may face some difficulties controlling a native touchscreen app using your Amazon Fire TV Stick remote. To overcome this, you’ll need to set up a Bluetooth mouse.
Alternatively, you can install a virtual remote app such as CetusPlay on both your smartphone and your Fire TV and use it to navigate the app, provided that both are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
NordVPN is one of the leading VPN providers in today’s market (they are in fact rated #1 by our expert writers), and its features can significantly enhance your streaming experience.
NordVPN boasts one of the biggest server networks with 5,500+ servers in 59 countries. This means it can easily bypass geo-restrictions to allow you access to all media services regardless of their region-specific licensing.
It’s also one of the fastest on the market, offering up to 90% of your standard broadband or Wi-Fi speed. Moreover, NordVPN’s sophisticated encryption technology ensures full protection of your data from any online threats. Best of all, this all comes in reasonably-priced packages.
NordVPN scored 9.5/10 in our rating and is currently ranked the best VPN
Now that you know how to install NordVPN on Firestick, you can unblock regional-specific HD content on your Fire TV. All you need to do is follow one of the two methods explained above, and you’ll be able to enjoy all the benefits and security that come with using NordVPN.
Other posts and articles you may be interested in.